Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Snow in Alabama!

You don’t hear of it snowing in Alabama too much, but yesterday it snowed all afternoon from about 12:30pm – 4:00pm. At my house it didn’t stick to the ground, but it was really pretty coming down. It was supposed to snow this morning, but there were no clouds and the sun shone all morning long. We are going to end our cold streak today and by Friday we will be almost 60. As much as I enjoy the cold weather, I don’t enjoy the panic that sweeps over everyone here. So in my opinion, it should never get below 35 here to have at least a season without panic. At least in MN people don’t panic over 6 degrees as a low and last week they probably would have welcomed that temperature.

In other news, as some of you know, I am the Assistant Sunday School Superintendent at my church. We over the last couple months I have been forced to do everything except for anything that has to do with the Youth Group (we have a leader for that). Keep in mind that I don’t really know how this church does Sunday school because 1) I don’t have any kids to put in the Sunday school, and 2) I just haven’t paid any attention up until I got this position. In the month of December alone I had to figure out what was going on with the Children’s Christmas program, figure out what the Sunday school attendance was when I didn’t I needed to keep track of it, and take down the Christmas decorations in the social hall that the youth group put up. So far in January, I’ve had to create the 2009 calendar for the Christian Ed board even though I didn’t know what events they are responsible for because only 1 person showed up for the board meeting before the calendar meeting, and holding a Christian Ed board meeting this past Sunday because the chair person, and Sunday School Superintendent, has been MIA pretty much since the first part of November. Running that meeting was like agony for me because I was furious that no one on the board came to help with the calendar meeting, and I’m not even the board chair and has not been to a Christian Ed board meeting since I joined the board. It was like pulling teeth to get them to agree or volunteer to take the lead on anything. In the end we ended up with a new board chair and a date for Vacation Bible School (the dates needed to be changed). I went away from that meeting with a huge weight off my shoulders. I no longer have to be responsible for the entire board, just Sunday School.

We got 2 excused hours of work to watch the inauguration this morning. I wouldn’t have wanted to be in DC today. I enjoyed watching the whole ceremony from the comfort of the conference room here at work. I got to see up close and there was no microphone echo or jumbotron to deal with. My day is extremely slow, so I might try to sneak away again to watch the parade. Happy Inauguration Day!

No comments: